With all the media attention in recent years, the word MOLD brings an instant hesitation. Is it a real concern? After all, it’s been around forever. The truth is, the effects of mold on our bodies are just now being understood. While rare, serious health effects from exposure to fungi, do occur. Too much exposure to certain types of mold could trigger asthma, cause allergic reactions, rashes and other respiratory complaints.
People are more susceptible to a fungus when it is in a building. Infants are more susceptible to infection because their immune systems haven’t fully developed. The elderly tend to have weaker immune systems, too. Because of the potential harm, any water intrusion into a building should be handled quickly and professionally.
What are some of the signs of mold contamination?
- Visible mold growth
- Musty or earthy odor that is most noticeable when you first enter a structure or room. Your nose will be become desensitized to it in about 10 seconds.
- High indoor humidity levels for extended periods
- Headaches and allergic reactions when within the environment
- Molds can grow on virtually any substance, provided that moisture is present. Prompt attention to water damage or visible mold can often keep a minor problem from becoming major.
If I discover mold, what do I do?
First, don’t panic, but do use caution. Make sure your actions won’t aggravate the problem by making the spores airborne or spread them to uncontaminated areas. Call a Steamatic of Fargo professional for an assessment; please use our global locator to the right. Testing can be done to determine the type of mold, but the bottom line is that the mold has to go, no matter what species.
You can call on Steamatic of Fargo and Grand Forks for all your drying and remediation needs. These include:
Inspection and Assessment of the cause and extent of damage.
Health & Safety issues including containment and removal of contaminated materials. Protective clothing and respirators may be required during the remediation process.
Containment to prevent the spread of fungi to unaffected areas
Remediation, depending on the extent of damage.
Cleaning of contents in affected areas.
Clearance testing through an independent third party.
How can I be proactive in preventing mold in my home?
Mold needs two main factors to grow – water and an organic food source.
Check your water bill – if water usage has increased noticeably this could be an indication of a water leak.
If you have had recent remodeling or construction – check roof, flashings, window seals, bathrooms, and humidifiers regularly for signs of excess water.
Inspections on a regular basis – HVAC & appliance drip pans, appliance water line connections, bathrooms, water heaters, windows, and attics.
If you experience ANY flooding in your structure make sure the removal and drying is handled properly, professionally, and promptly. Water can seep under baseboards and into wall cavities, resulting in undetected mold growth.
If you have a small amount of visible mold that reoccurs after cleaning with a water and bleach solution, this could be an indication of ongoing water intrusion, which should be corrected immediately.